Uncle Jack Charles, an indigenous actor, artist, activist, and musician, passed away. At the time of his demise, he was 79-year-old. In the early hours of Tuesday, his publicist confirmed the saddening piece of news. He revealed that the activist suffered a stroke and breathed his last at Royal Melbourne Hospital. Tributes and condolence messages have poured in for Charles since then. Netizens are expressing their sadness about his sudden demise and this has brought his name to the trending list.
With a smoking ceremony at the hospital, the family farewelled Boon Wurrung, Woiwurrung, Yorta Yorta elder, and Dja Dja Wurrung. They released a statement in which they said that they are so proud of everything he has achieved in his remarkable life. They went on to describe him as an elder, actor, potter, activist, mentor, musician, household name and voice loved by all. He will live on in our hearts and memories through his numerous screen and stage roles added that statement further.
Uncle Jack Charles Death Reason
Linda Burney, the minister for Indigenous affairs, said that Charles was a ground-breaking storyteller and activist who brought people in with his warmth and grace and that he never felt shy to tell about his past and who he was. Several personalities rushed to social media to pay Jack Charles heartfelt tributes. Talking about Charles, he was born in 1943 and was a stolen generation survivor. The musician had spoken about his birth and had said that he was supposed to be taken from his mother’s breast directly by the Aboriginal protection mob and to be placed into a baby city mission but that did not happen.
- Jack Charles was born on September 5, 1943, in Cummeragunja Reserve.
- He was an Australian actor, musician, Aboriginal elder, and potter.
- In 1970, Jack began his acting career in theatre.
- The actor went on to appear in several films including Bedevil, Pan, Back to the Outback, Mystery Road, and many more.
- Charles was honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award from Victoria’s Green Room Awards in April 2014.
- In 2015, he received Victorian Senior Australian of the Year.
- The activist passed away on September 13, 2022, at 79.
- Reports confirm that he died of a stroke.
It is reported that Charles learned about his mother being alive at the age of 17 and that she has lived in Swan Hill. He recalled sharing the news with his foster mother and getting removed from foster care. The late artist added that he was placed in juvenile detention. Jack Charles remembered crying himself to sleep that day. Paying him tributes, actor David Wenham described him as a great actor, a great social activist, and a great human being.